A Grandfather’s “God Given Responsibility” During this Israeli War
As fathers and grandfathers, we have a God given responsibility to not only teach our families, and lead our families, but to comfort them. The list below is a compilation of prayers from various sources that all of us should be praying. Take a moment to share them with your family and friends. Be ready to pray with your children and grandchildren when they discuss this awful war in Israel. Watch for fear in your children’s eyes to see if they are disturbed by the graphics they may see or hear. Pray with them. When you do, hold them. Your actions will comfort and help them feel safe. Your unifying prayer will also create a bond that assures they can come to you whenever they need comforting.
- Pray for the comfort of those families who have suffered the loss of loved ones and friends.
- Pray for all the protection of hostages, that they will be released unharmed both physically and mentally.
- Pray for the spiritual well being of hostages, that they will know the presence of God and remain strong in Him.
- Pray for the children of Israel, and Gaza, that God will ease their fears as they do not understand this conflict.
- For the healing and restoration of all who have been injured and traumatized by the senseless violence.
- For a restoration of order and security throughout Israel and Gaza.
- For the leaders of Hamas to cease any further terrorist attacks on Israel.
- For the leaders of Israel to focus on defense of the Israeli people and not on revenge.
- For those who feel that violence is their only option and for those who feel powerless and vulnerable.
- Pray for Israeli soldiers to fight with determination and bravery.
- For guidance for all who are involved in diplomacy to end the immediate conflict and prevent any external efforts to provoke continued violence.
- For the restoration of conditions in both Israel and Palestine in which the longer-term issues of sustainable peace and justice for all can be addressed.
- For the strengthening and witness of the Church in Israel and Palestine.
- Pray that individually and as the body of Christ, the Church would be used by God to be a light to the truth of the glorious gospel of Christ,
- And pray that many Jewish and Palestinian men and women would come to a saving faith in the Lord Jesus.
In the midst of such suffering, grief and devastation, we join with the Prophet Isaiah in looking toward the day that:
He will judge between the nations
and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore (Isaiah 2:4).