By Lillian Penner
Many of our grandchildren are attending college and universities, some are Christian, and some are secular colleges. The grandchildren attending secular universities are taught a secular worldview and probably navigating ungodly influences. We need to pray for our grandchildren’s deep spiritual needs, the needs of their souls.
Barna Research President, David Kinnaman’s new book writes in his new book Faith for Exiles. The percentage of young-adult dropouts has increased from 59 to 64 percent. Nearly two-thirds of U.S. 18–29-year-olds who grew up in church tell Barna they have withdrawn from church involvement as an adult after having been active as a child or teen.
I would like to encourage you to pray for the campus where your grandchild is attending. Pray he/she will get involved in a Christian college ministry on their campus for Christian fellowship and community.
Let’s pray the next generation will have the passion and energy to be godly leaders to change the world. Following are suggestions to you can pray.
WHAT TO PRAY FOR:
- ASK GOD WHAT HE’S ALREADY DOING THERE—
- Do some listening prayer, asking God questions such as,
- “Lord, what are YOU praying for this campus?”
- “Who are you moving in here right now?”
- “What are the barriers to your work here?”
Spend time listening and write down anything you hear or feel.
* PRAY AND LISTEN
Ask God to show you what revival would look like on this campus.
Write down anything you see or feel.
* PRAY FOR CHRISTIANS
Pray that Christians already on this campus would be bold, have faith, and be courageous. If there are any Christian groups or churches already on campus, pray this for them as well.
* PRAY FOR PEOPLE IN POWER
Pray for professors, administrators, student government, and other leaders on campus.
I hope you will find these Scriptures helpful to pray for your college student.
Scriptures to Pray for Grandchildren in College
Dear Father, I pray that: (Insert your child’s name)
- 1. Peace________ will not worry about anything, but pray about everything. Philippians 4:6
- Protection from the Enemy________ will be alert and watch out for the temptations from the enemy, standing firm in his/her faith. I Peter 5:8, 9
- Responsibility__________ will learn to be responsible for his/her own actions and behavior. Galatians 6:5
- Salvation________ will believe that Jesus loves him/her and died for his/her sins so he/she can have a personal relationship with you and enjoy eternal life. John 3:16__
- Security_________ will always remember that you will never leave nor forsake him/her. Joshua 1:56
- Self-control________will live in this evil world with self-control, right conduct and devotion to God. Titus 2:12
- Servant’s Heart________will develop a servant’s heart, serving wholeheartedly, as to the Lord and not men. Eph. 6:7
- Anxiety__________will cast all his/her anxieties and disappointments on you. I Peter 5:7
- Spiritual Growth___________will be rooted and built up in his/her faith, growing strong in the truth as he/she is taught. Colossians 2:7
- Guard________ will guard his/her heart, for it is the wellspring of his/her life. Proverbs 4:23
- Thankfulness__________ will learn to give thanks in everything, no matter what happens. I Thessalonians 5:18
- Timidity/Fear___________ will not have a spirit of fear and timidity, but the spirit of power, love, and self-discipline. II Tim. 1:7
- Trust the Lord________ will trust You with all his/her heart and not depend on his/her on understanding Proverbs 3:5
- WisdomWhen ________ needs wisdom, he/she will ask you for it, You are waiting for him/her to ask. James 1:5
- Hunger for God’s Word___________will hunger and thirst for your Word. Matthew 5:6
Listen to this awesome inspiring short video called the Haystack prayer meeting.
Have you ever heard of Samuel Mills? Listen to this little four minute video and realize the possibilities of your prayers for your children and grandchildren.
Lillian Penner is the author of Grandparenting with a Purpose: Effective Ways to Pray for Your Grandchildren in English and Spanish. She has been on staff with the Christian Grandparenting Network prayer ministry for fourteen years, developing prayer cards, grandparents@Prayer groups, and the Grandparenting Day of Prayer. She has a passion for praying intentionally for her grandchildren and desires to share that passion with other grandparents.
An avid blogger, Lillian breaks into smiles if you ask about her thirteen grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. She and her husband, John, live in Portland, Oregon, where they are active in church ministries. They were both raised in Christian homes and desire to pass their godly heritage to their future generations. She and her husband enjoy traveling, Southern Gospel music but most of all, enjoy spending time with their family.